THISTLE is a timeless classic whose sailing characteristics must be experienced. She was completely refitted in 2006 to comply with the stringent Bermuda offshore sailing regulations. She has been enjoyed by her current owner between the Chesapeake and Maine and is currently stored back at her birthplace in Southwest Harbor, Maine. With her versatile yawl rig and Hinckley build quality she is safe and powerful in the water and ready for her next owner to enjoy. Recent price drop!
ADDITIONAL SPECS, EQUIPMENT AND INFORMATION
- Boat Name: Hinckley H-48 Yawl 1972
- Builder: Hinckley
- Designer: Bill Tripp Jr.
- Location: Southwest Harbor, ME
- Displacement Measure: 34,000 lb
- Brand: Yanmar Turbo
- Engine Model: 4JH3-TE
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Engine/Fuel Type: diesel
- Hours: 570
- Drive Type: Direct
- Engine Power: 75|horsepower
THISTLE is a keel/centerboard Hinckley 48 Yawl and can sleep 8 in three cabins. This classic traditional interior has 6′ 9″ headroom in the main salon, is finished in varnished mahogany with varnished teak and holly sole and custom finished caned locker doors. She had a major refit in 2006 in preparation for offshore sailing and the stringent safety regulations of the Newport to Bermuda race. Significant updates in the refit included a new Yanmar engine, new electrical panel, new watermaker and new sails
- Flag Blue topsides.
- White house and deck with tan painted nonskid.
- Gold leaf cove stripe.
- White bootstripe.
- Red bottom paint.
- One piece molded hand laid fiberglass hull. Deck, deckhouse, and cockpit are fiberglass molded in one piece with the deck balsa core molded providing a light but rigid structure. Deck is set into a 6” flange in the hull, then fiberglassed and bolted in place.
- Nonskid is painted onto the deck and the sail locker seats.
- Keel: External 10,600 lb. lead keel is fastened with Everdur bolts.
- Centerboard: Bronze 940 lb. centerboard with Hinckley worm-gear lift with override – Electric with manual back-up.
- Painted teak rub rail with stainless steel cap.
- Stainless steel stem head with bow roller and integrated chocks.
- Stainless steel bow and stern pulpits.
- Stanchions and double lifelines and gates.
- Oiled teak toe rails
- Varnished dorade boxes, handrails, aft lazarette box and covers and cockpit coaming.
- Double dorade forward with stainless steel dorades painted white inside with a varnished teak storage box between.
- Stainless steel dorade guard.
- Stainless steel mast guard rail port and starboard.
- Stainless steel genoa tracks mounted on toe rail.
- (2) Hatches with varnished teak boxes and translucent covers.
- Deck mounts for spinnaker and whisker poles.
- Oversized custom Hinckley deck hatch in foredeck
- Deck fitting for removable inner forestay
- Padeyes for securing liferaft forward of main mast
- Anchor washdown spigot
- Deck plate for forepeak dorade scoop
- Teak hatch covers after of cockpit provide access to propane locker and lazarette
Aft cockpit has varnished teak coamings, a forward bridge deck and Edson pedestal wheel steering:
Large opening cockpit seats provide access to storage bins and sail lockers.
- Painted nonskid on seat tops.
- Engine controls, sheets, and winches are all easily accessible.
- Full engine instrumentation panel.
- Opening teak hatches aft of mizzen mast provide access to propane locker and lazarette storage
- (4) winch pockets in cockpit coamings
- Padeyes for securing jacklines and tethers
Cockpit binnacle has stainless steel “destroyer type” wheel steering:
- Binnacle mounted compass with cover.
- Stainless steel binnacle guard.
- Edson engine controls
- Stainless steel wheel with teak rim with elkhide cover
Some cockpit amenities include:
- Hinckley cockpit dodger with window.
- Hood Awning – mainsail awning cover.
- Cockpit cushions.
- Teak folding cockpit table.
- Teak cockpit sole grate.
- Traveller just forward of the wheel in easy reach of helm
- Custom adjustable folding helm seat mounted to mizzen mast
Forward is the varnished teak hatch that leads to the interior accommodations below.
SAILS AND RIGGING:
- Famit Marine aluminum main & mizzen masts & booms (1994 – Overhauled and Awlgripped).
- Standing rigging of 1 x 19 stainless steel wire to Stalock terminals with internal halyards (1993).
- Custom Metal mast boom and masthead (1982).
- Harken roller furler for jib
- Lazy jacks and sail covers.
- Running rigging including main, spinnaker and staysail halyards, new main and genoa sheets, furling line, and topping lift (2000).
- (2) Lewmar #55 SST secondary winches.
- (2) Barient #35 SS primary winches
- Barrient #22 SS main sheet winch.
- (3) Barient #22’s SS winches on mast.
- Barient #19 SST reef winch on boom.
- Barient SS main halyard wire winch.
- Barient #1 OH SS downhaul winch.
- (2) Barient #10 SS mizzen winches.
- Newest set of sails 2006.
- Hood Mainsail – Fully-battened, with 3 reef points, shelf foot and flattening reef.
- (2) Mizzens.
- Working Jib.
- #2 Furling Jib.
- Storm Jib.
- #1 Light Genoa.
- 180% Light Genoa.
- #3 Genoa.
- Spinnaker – Starcut.
- Mizzen Staysail.
From the cockpit, the companionway steps lead down to the main cabin with the galley set to port and navigation station opposite to starboard with a full-width main salon immediately forward. Aft to port is the master stateroom with an en suite private head. Forward of the main salon is the forward head and stateroom.
Interior is finished:
- Satin-varnished mahogany interior.
- White overhead
- Varnished teak & holly sole.
- (2) Opening overhead hatches, (4) ports (including two opening ports) and the companionway hatch provide natural light and ventilation.
- Locker doors throughout have custom cane with varnished mahogany trim.
- Marine Air-conditioning provides comfortable climate control
Aft to port is the Master Stateroom that has a private en suite head forward to starboard.
The Master Stateroom features include:
- Wide berths are port and starboard.
- Drawer and drop-front storage under the berths.
- A seat is inboard the berth.
- Large hanging locker.
- Large opening port to the cockpit.
Ensuite Private aft head:
A solid mahogany door accesses the Owner’s private head with shower.
- White Formica countertop.
- Stainless steel sink with fixtures, including a hand-held telephone shower.
- Hot and cold pressure water.
- Marine head plumbed to holding tank.
- Built-in waste bin.
- Mirror over sink.
- Locker storage outboard.
MAIN CABIN: Incorporates the Galley, Nav Station and Main Salon.
The Galley and separate Navigation are port and starboard next forward:
- Separated from the next forward full-width main salon by half bulkheads.
- Convenient to cockpit and dining area.
- Opening port in galley and nav station.
Amidship to port is the galley, also convenient to the dining area that has a White U-shaped Formica countertop. Features include:
- Countertop double-hatch accessed 9 cu/ft. refrigeration (engine or 12-volt driven) with ice cube trays.
- Storage outboard.
- Custom mug and cup storage
- Shipmate gimballed 3-burner propane stainless steel stove with oven – stove cover stows behind stove.
- Lockers and shelf stowage outboard.
- Task lighting over counters.
- Integral mahogany handrail below the port.
- Double stainless steel sink with fixtures, sprayer and pressure hot and cold water.
- Bin storage outboard the sink that is countertop hatch accessed.
- Storage under the sink.
NAVIGATION STATION (Starboard):
Located opposite the galley is the well-lit Navigation Station:
Nav area features include:
- Mahogany nav table with white Formica top and multiple chart drawer storage.
- Dome light.
- Electronics mounted outboard.
- Instrument gauges and switches.
- Electrical breaker panel.
- Opening port over.
- Integral mahogany handrail below the port.
Electronics and Navigation Equipment:
- Autohelm 5000 autopilot with HD linear drive
- Garmin hand-held GPS with stainless steel mount at pedestal.
- Raytheon R-40 radar.
- SEA SSB radio.
- Icom VHF IC-M45.
- Handheld VHF radio.
- Danforth 5” Constellation compass.
- Navman wind speed, log, anemometer, depth sounder (2006).
- Navman Tracker 5500 chartplotter (2006)
- Chart library – Block Island to Canada.
- Satellite antenna mounted on mizzen (2006).
MAIN SALON, Amidship:
The full-width main salon offers:
- Area dining, entertaining and can sleep up to 4 persons.
- Full 6’ 9” headroom.
- Full-length port and starboard integral handrails under windows.
- 12-volt bulkhead lighting.
- Opening overhead hatch with screen allows more natural light and ventilation.
Port and starboard are:
- Cushioned settees/pull-out transom berths and a pilot berth outboard each settee.
- 6-Drawer storage under each fixed berth.
- Shelf outboard port and starboard.
Hinckley custom gimballed varnished mahogany dining table with drop-leafs
- Located centerline.
- Seats up to 8 people.
- Integrated wire storage
Entertainment systems consists of:
- Sony CDX-GT32 stereo
- Toshiba flat screen TV with integrated DVD player mounted on forward bulkhead of main cabin
- Direct TV sat TV system
Port forward bulkhead has a varnished mahogany bookcase.
Forward starboard in the main cabin is a full-length hanging locker with shelves.
Located forward to port the large separate head has a solid mahogany door and is easily accessible by all forward accommodations.
The head features:
- Shower with mixing valve and hot and cold pressure water.
- White formica countertop on varnished mahogany vanity.
- Stainless steel sink with fixtures and hot and cold pressure water.
- Marine head has Aluminum custom holding tank with pump-out plumbing and “Y” valve.
- Waste bin.
- Locker and drawer storage.
- Electrical outlets.
- Vent fan
- Air conditioning vent
- Overhead dorade vent with flow control
This private stateroom is finished in varnished mahogany and has a solid mahogany door.
- V-berth forward with cushions.
- Cushioned seat between.
- Drawers and stowage under berths.
- Shelves outboard.
- Hanging locker aft starboard.
- Forward access to the divided chain locker forepeak.
- 12-volt bulkhead lights.
- Natural light and ventilation from opening hatch over.
Electrical panel upgrade in 2006 with separate 110v and 12-volt DC electrical systems for starting and accessories:
Separate 12-volt DC electrical systems:
- (2) 6-volt starting batteries.
- (4) 12-volt 450-amp/hr house batteries.
110-volt AC electrical system:
- Shore power and shore power cord.
- LaMarche “Constavolt” battery charger.
- Prosine Xantrax 2-Kw inverter – battery charger (2000)
- Engine:Yanmar Turbo 4JH3-TE (570 hrs. September 2021).
- New 2001: Monet shaft and Max prop.
- New 2000: Fuel gauges and senders.
- Next Generation generator UCM2-515 (420 hours September 2021
- (2) Engine alternators: 110-amp and 45-amp (Engine 45-amp alternator rebuilt 2000).
- Allcraft 12-gallon hot water heater (new 2000) from engine or electrical system, located under the companionway steps.
- Little Wonder 8.5 gal/hr watermaker (2006).
- Stainless steel holding tank (2000) with pump-out plumbing for Y-valve. *Both heads rebuilt 2001
- Engine-driven Jabsco bilge pump.
- Electric submersible bilge pump.
- Whale double-action bilge pump by helm.
- Edson 18” diaphragm bilge pump.
- Fixed Halon automatic fire extinguisher.
- Portable fire extinguishers.
- Deck wash down systems.
- MarineAir reverse cycle air conditioning system
- New AC/DC panel.
- New Engine.
- New hatches installed.
- New cushions (interior).
- New electronic/entertainment system.
- New cold plate refrigeration system.
- New generator.
- New reverse cycle heat/air.
- New satellite antenna.
- New mainsail/asymmetrical.
- Hull was filled, faired and Awlgripped Flag Blue. Cowls rechromed and painted.
- Rebuilt: 45-amp engine alternator .
- Replaced: Lifelines & gates on the stainless steel stanchions, running rigging: halyards & sheets, topping lift, & furling line. All opening ports and hatch gaskets replaced
- New: Watermaker, hot water heater, monel shaft & 3 blade Max prop, safety glass to main cabin large ports, nay lights on bow pulpit, all hoses replaced & re-clamped, fuel gauges & senders.
- Re-bedding coamings, aft hatches re-glued, aft head, galley and chart table area, main salon and fo’castle wooded, stained and 7 coats of varnish, new moldings and flooring in heads, caned front cabinets throughout, tool locker under companionway steps, new teak companionway hatch cover, teak gratings.
- Ideal electric windlass.
- CQR 60# anchor mounted forward in bow roller.
- Danforth 35# anchor.
- (3) Anchor rodes.
- Gale Rider anchor drogue.
- Custom stainless steel boarding ladder.
- (2) Boat hooks.
- Dock lines.
- Bosun’s chair.
- Tool kit and sail repair kit.
- Fenders with fender covers
- Hatch dodger.
- Hatch covers new in 2006.
- Dishes, utensils and galleyware.
- Life jackets.
- Search light.
- Life sling.
- First aid kit.
- Flare kit.
- Horseshoe life rings.
- Avon offshore liferaft (out of inspection)
- Seth Thomas tide clock
- Boat hook
- Spare parts list includes engine parts, steering cable, backstay, rigging items.
- Life jackets
- Propane grill
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.